Skip to main content

Oct. 11: Connecting the Dots

1. Common Post Themes:
Each post is based on the most recent class topic, and each topic builds off the last. Transfer costs, for example, could be brought up in basically any prompt so far. In the Illinibucks hypothetical could be brought up in up in terms of how such a vast organizational change would certainly bring up some difficulties. They could have also been talked about in the description of an effective team one has worked on if the individual chose to write about how the team used to be less effective then changed.

Another common theme is team organization. Beyond the blog post it is explicitly tied to, it could be related to the Illinibucks post in how an effective team could be organized to carry out the project. It could have also been a part of the transfer pricing blog post where the writer could have talked about how exactly the changing organization switched up its structure. Finally, team organization could have been brought up in opportunism by speaking of what structures could best keep opportunism at bay or decrease gains from taking advantage of others.

2. Connecting Prompts to Course Themes:
With each prompt there have been a multitude of ways to connect to course themes. These connections are not only to the week that these prompts are from. For example, though we learned about opportunism a different week than the team organization post I could have extended that post with some thoughts as to how effective team management can reduce the consequences of opportunism in the workplace. Overall, though it requires critical thinking, just about every course theme could be tied into each of the prompts so far.

3. Evolution of Writing Process:
With the varying nature of the prompts I think my approach for each has been different. For example, the prompt for organizational structure is much more rigidly defines than the one about Illinibucks, and as a result of that my response towards that is more clear and has less loose ends. With my response for organizational structure I planned the response out pretty thoroughly ahead of writing then executed that plan. For Illinibucks, however, I planned out a response then thought of new ideas to weave in as I wrote. This led to unfinished thoughts and overall a response that brought up too much for an effective ~600 word essay.

With only having written 5 posts so far, I do not think my writing process overall has changed much since the start of semester.However, this reflection is giving me ideas to make my new writing more effective. For example, I now realize that I have not effectively been calling back to more distant course themes at all in my responses. This is something I will work on throughout the next half of the semester. I will also try to pare down ideas so I can explain them effectively in 600-1000 words and leave less loose ends.

4. Future Prompt Notes:
I enjoy open ended prompts, like the Illinibucks one. Though my response was lower quality than the rigidly defined prompts, I do believe that prompt inspired more thought than the others. Perhaps the future prompts could walk a line between the two, with a thought experiment or open ended type question then explicitly stating what topic you want the students' response to tie into the prompt. This would make the students that are better at following rigid prompts happier, while also still forcing them to think deeper about class concepts in relation to the route they choose to answer the prompt. It would also give those students that enjoy open ended prompts an idea to synthesize around.

Comments

  1. In the above you did not mention the Excel homework. In past offerings of my class students have said they didn't see the Excel and the blogging coming together. I wonder if you might try to do that some in your future posts.

    It should also be noted that M&R are giving us an economics approach to organizations, while B&D are giving a different approach. The explicit reason for having both is that the economics students must understand other approaches, particularly the psychology and sociology of organizations. Transfer pricing, which is an exemplar of the economics approach, is abstract and non-personal. Helping team members or exploiting them to help yourself is much more personal. Overcoming transaction costs may be a way to connect the two. as opportunism is at the root of many transaction costs.

    I appreciate that you like open ended prompts. I also want to remind you that you can post on your own topic and ignore the prompt entirely, but then you need to connect the post to topics in the course. So I might ask you whether you can come up with your own prompt and, if you're not comfortable with that now, whether that is a skill worth developing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excel homework did not cross my mind as I wrote my response, which is interesting. I feel like I treat the blogging and excel homework completely differently in my mind, which is likely why they have not intersected so far. I will try harder on tying those in.

      I took this class because I approach problems mathematically and I want to try to consider both ways from the start. I think that using both approaches as outlined by M&R and B&D will help me with that and also create more effective responses.

      I will keep in mind that I can create my own prompt, and likely will try that in one of the future weeks. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 20th: Opportunism

Opportunism is defined as taking opportunities that are to your benefit without giving a thought to the ethical issues they may cause. In the workplace, this could be taking more credit than is due on team projects or consistently delegating too much of their own work to others. This can result in a meteoric rise in work rank, but many times the bridges they burn on the way up will not be there to catch them when they need help. Outside of work opportunism can much more easily go unpunished. There are no real long term effects to cutting someone off while driving or taking advantage of a store accidentally pricing its items too low. The only thing stopping most people from these acts is a code of personal ethics. In my life, I have had a multitude of times in which I could have acted opportunistically but did not. One example of this comes from online shopping a few years ago. I was on a boutique-type site that pretty obviously looked like it was not professionally made. There w

Oct. 4th: Illinibucks Hypothetical

In our Illinibucks thought experiment I believe having a large amount of opportunities to spend them would lead to the best overall experience. The student opportunities on campus that I think would benefit from the ability to jump in line follow: 1. Single class registration I have had problems every semester so far getting into classes necessary for me to complete my academic plan. Most semesters this is only one or two classes. I believe that if there was a way for students to pay with Illinibucks for a single class this could reduce registration stress for many. 2. Dorm room picking Dorms are allocated based off school year then randomly amongst those of the same year. If someone could pay to pick a certain room I believe many would take the opportunity. 3. Mental health services The idea of this frankly disgusts me morally, but I will explain myself. There are two main routes for obtaining mental health through the University. The counseling center has Monday through

Sept. 13th Blog Post: Organizational Structure

I was a member of the band for my four years in high school. At the end of my junior year, the original band director retired after around 30 years of service. He was a very laid back guy. He didn't take marching band very seriously, rather putting more work into concert selections and the band's Europe trip. Most students liked his methods for running the band so many were ambivalent to the upcoming year. The new director was quite a bit different. The biggest source of ire for many was that he valued marching band greatly and wanted the school to take it much more seriously. He had a multi-year plan that involved ramping up the number of outside of school practices, building a color guard team, and doing more involved shows that involved props and dancing. Finally, he gave more power to the drum majors (a student leadership position) and opened the job up to sophomores and juniors. Reactions were mixed, top say the least. Many (myself included) were very unhappy about the